FlowersGardening

Winterizing Roses

In winterizing roses, do they have to be confined by cones. I am tempted to try hilling alone and wish to use shredded leaves mixed with top soil. Does this make sense? Also, I would like to cut up cross sections of paper leaf bags to act as restraining devices for the leaf/soil mix. Any advice gratefully received.

Jim from Detroit, MI

I am debating that same issue right now. I will probalby do the cones, as I'd rather be safe than sorry with two new rose bushes and three older ones that have done well this year. Here's more on protecting roses.

www.oldhouseweb.com/.../roses-winter-protection.shtml

By Elaine (Guest Post)

Jim, I think that is what most experts recommend you do instead of the cones. The soil and leaves will do a better job of insulating than the cones. The problem with the cones is that you have to remove them at just the right time. Another problem that I have with them is that are never large enough. I don't want to be pruning at this time of the year as that promotes growth .If you remove the cones too soon you risk injury.

Do it too late and the roses suffer from not getting the sunlight. I usually just mound the dirt myself, without any leaves but it could not hurt to use the leaves. I see you are in Michigan so I imagine you are in zone 4 or 5 as I am. Don't know about using the paper, never tried that.

By mklema92658 (Guest Post)

I'm not sure what the cones are you are referring to but what about using tomato cages upside down and wrapping them with paper? Fill up with leaves and mulch to the top. Just a thought.