TroubleshootingComputers

Dell Laptop Not Staying Connected to the Internet

I bought a dell laptop from ebay, it works good but I cannot keep it connected to the internet using a router which is new. It has internal WiFi in it. We have tried everything we can think of. It will let you on for awhile and then kick you off and you can't get back on.

Jan from Springfield, MN

There could be a problem with your internet provider, give them a call. And if not you might have purchased a defective laptop from eBay.

By Cathy (Guest Post)

It sounds like the same problem we were having when our neighbor was stealing our internet!

Be sure that your router has a high security level and change your password. Our neighbor had guessed our password - we had used something easy to remember based on our address and name - and when he signed on it would bump us off until he shut his computer down.

I'm in a town of only 18,000 people, but we have like three offices where you bring your computer and they fix it. There should be some store like that in your Yellow Pages.

Even with the repair cost (always a bargain compared to new) you will still do far better than if you had not gone looking for bargains as would any sensible person. Good for you!

My daughter got a Dell Laptop on Ebay too and it did the same thing. Turned out the WiFi card was way outdated.. no good. We have Comcast as our provider and couldnt connect directly so we had to use the other type of card to connect.. not WiFi.. but the long narrow type that goes into the USB port.. now it connects fine. Good luck!

By Jan (Guest Post)

Hi to everyone who answered my email.I don't know what I did,but it started working and it has'nt(cross my fingers)stopped yet. Thanks for the advice.

By Carol in PA (Guest Post)

I was going to suggest you phone Dell tech support. They are located in Texas and easy to communicate with. I also thought of your internet company. I think I would phone them first.

Good luck