Knitting With Fabric

Category Knitting
You don't have to limit your knitting projects to the use of yarn; try using fabric. This is a guide about knitting with fabric.

I am a knitter and have seen kits for knitting with strips of fabric. They make 1/2 inch wide strips from cloth, and you knit these into a purse, as if they were yarn. Instead of buying the kits which are outrageously expensive, I buy remnants of fabric, usually from the quilting area, and cut my own strips.

Instead of a hundred long strips that you have to attach together somehow, I just lay out the 3 or 4 yards of fabric, start at one corner, and go around and around the edges to cut one long piece that's about 1/2 inch wide. It breaks sometimes if my cutting is off, but then you only have a couple of connections to worry about and not one on every row.

The material, when knitted, will only reflect the colors you've chosen and not the actual pattern. So if there is Easter fabric on sale you can knit an item that has pastels in it, and no one can ever tell they were bunnies and eggs! What to knit? I made eyeglass cases and throw rugs made from several squares sewn together. When doing squares for a rug, you can use several different material patterns, as long as they are in the same color family and they will come out complementing each other nicely.

I just found some material so gorgeous that I am going to attempt my first top! Yarn is too warm to knit with or wear in the summer; I'm making a short sleeved top from a sunny gauzy material.

By Laurie from St. Louis, MO

I would love to see a photo! Sounds neat. How do you keep the guaze fabric from raveling?

Cool idea, looking forward to seeing photos.

Love your idea..Might give it a try.

Your story of knitting with fabric reminded me of what a woman I once knew did with nylon that she got from a mill. She crocheted bedroom slippers, hot pads, and many other items. I still have several of the covers she made for wire coat hangers. These are great because they keep garments from slipping off the hanger. Also, they make the hanging like one of those expensive padded hangers that are sold for lingerie. I like them for knitted shirts or sweaters.. It doesn leave the little pouf at the shoulder.