AdvicePest Control

What is the Source of Fruit Flies?

Where do fruit flies come from? Are they in the fruit or your home?

By Kathi

They come in the fruit. I just brought some bananas and have now have some fruit flies where I did'nt havethem prior to buying the bananas.

They come in fruit. They will reproduce rapidly, and can take up residence in garbage cans, the dregs of pop cans (so clean out recycle bins), fruit, and sometimes they appear in house plants that have a lot of organic material in the soil - such as things replanted into pots using garden dirt. They are an awful nuisance, but not harmful in any way. The best way to get rid of them is to eliminate the places they are reproducing.

Anonymous

They come into your home on the outside of fruit. For fruits that have an exterior skin (like melons, bananas, apples etc) wash in cold water, pat dry and go ahead and just place on your countertop to store them. For fruits with no skin (like raspberries, strawberries, etc) place immediately in your refrigerator without washing.

You don't want to wash non-skin fruits until you're going to use them because the moisture from cleaning them seeps inside and makes them go bad more quiclky. In the 39 years since I left my parents home the only time I ended up with fruit flies is when I didn't follow these rules ;-)