Removing Rust Stains from a Linoleum Flooring

Category Floors
When metal has rusted on this material, it can be difficult to remove. This guide is about removing rust stains from linoleum flooring.

Apply full strength distilled white vinegar directly to tough linoleum stains. Leave it on 10-15 minutes before wiping up. If that doesn't work, apply it again and sprinkle baking soda over the vinegar. Scrub with brush or sponge. Rinse with clean water.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

I have an old linoleum floor in my basement and there's a pretty big rust stain on the floor. What could I use to remove it? I've already tried a few products that are supposed to remove rust, but had no luck. Any ideas? I can't afford to replace the floor.

By Karen from Warren, MI

Answers

Try 'Whink' (in a brown bottle at Wal-Mart/most grocery stores, in the section with cleansers, i.e. Comet). Try it on a small area to check for damage to linoleum before using on the large area. I have not found anything it will not take rust from, even clothing. Can just see it disapear as applied. Mop your floor as usual after the rust has gone.

If there is wax on the floor, be certain to remove it, before attempting to remove the rust...The wax will prevent you from being able to remove the rust, if the rust is under the wax!