Freezing, Frying or Canning Cucumber

How do you freeze, fry or can cucumber?

smith from Greeneville Tennessee

Do a Google search. I'm sure hundreds of sites will come up. I make refrigerator pickles that are very good. I'm not sure about freezing, canning or frying, but who knows!

In my experience, pickles or relish are the only thing one makes out of cucumbers. Other than that, people eat them raw. Because they have such a high water content, and are not eaten cooked, nobody freezes them.

Fried cucumbers are delicious. I just use a little margarine and season as desired.

Slice them in a pitcher of cold water and let set in the fridge for a couple of hours for a refreshing drink. Slice to use on sandwiches instead of lettuce. Add to smoothies. There are tons of pickle recipes to can.

If you have any pickle jars that you've eat the pickles up and still have the liquid, cut up a cucumber up in it, allow 2 days to absorb the pickle juice before serving. We like them this way.

Sometimes we'll slice up several cucumbers & make refrigerator pickles. They're great to have to snack on or have with a sandwich or serve as a side dish. These are most welcome at potlucks, we always have compliments on them. Most summers, we keep a bowl of them in the fridge & as soon as we eat them up, we'll fix another dish of them. They're that good.

I've not had fried cucumbers before, but I don't think they'd be too different in texture if you'd bread them like you would fried zucchini. They'd have to be something you'd have to eat almost immediately after frying, I'd think.

Also, you can chop cucumbers up & use in pasta salads, cauliflower salads & veggies salads.

Hope these ideas help you out.

I put my cucumbers on a couple of paper towels peeled and sliced and allow them to dry out. Over night is best. Then I get three large platters and a large bowl out. I put one or two eggs in the bowl with a bit of water and mix well. On one platter I put some flour; other platter I put pinko flakes and sometimes I add some unsalted crumbed up saltines. I dredge the cucumber pieces in flour then egg then crumbs and put on a platter. After you get a single layer I put a towel or wax paper over the top and put in the refrigerator for at least an hour or longer. Then you fry them. For a change you can add different spices like pepper, dill etc to the crumb mixture. Drain on a paper towel and enjoy.