Energy EfficiencyHome Improvement

Turn Off the Lights Kids (or it Will Cost You)

Teach kids the value of turning off lights as they leave a room by implying to them that each time costs (for instance) $1. Explain to them that the lights cost money every month and if you have to turn the lights out for them, each time you do that, charge them $1.

My step-son was into it for $8 before he grasped the concept, but after that he realized to turn out lights he wasn't using. Then, it was no longer a "problem"

Source: home tested, kid and mom approved!

By melody_yesterday from Otterville MO

I did this with my grand kids. Only they were younger and charged them a dime. One week they didn't get an allowance. Soon they were turning off the lights all the time. Now we make sure that any electronic equipment not being used is also unplugged.

My dad charged my brother and me 10 cents back in the 60's. It worked!

To save electricity. I hold a contest each month for my kids, whoever has turned off the most lights gets rewarded at the end of the week. We go out for an ice cream.