DishwasherAppliances

Removing Something Stuck in the Dishwasher

I know there is something that is stuck in the bottom of our dishwasher. I can hear it "crunching" when the dishwasher get to a certain point in the cycle. I had an appliance man here but because it wasn't making the noise at the time. I should have thought to have it run until it got to that point. He couldn't fix it. He said it would be a "big issue" to pull it out. Is there any way to find what the culprit is without pulling it out?

Marie from MA

There are a lot of good repair men out there, and some bad ones. You just happen to get one of the bad ones. My husband works on our appliance. He said you turn off the water and unhook the hose. Pull the dishwasher out. Take out the dish racks. Remove the sprayer in the bottom of the disherwasher. It's probably a fork or something stuck underneath. It's "NOT THAT BIG OF AN ISSUE". I hope you did not pay him. If you did I would call his company and report him.

Big or small deal, would depend on the particular machine. Special tools or special sizes of tools may be required that the serviceman didn't have. (I had to visit a hardware store to get the correct size socket to remove the guts of the grinder in my older Whirlpool.) If it grinds but still pumps OK I wouldn't worry. There may be something in there like an apple seed, a chip of a plastic utensil, or a toothpick that will eventually disintegrate and be expelled.

Since it is happening at a certain time in the cycle, are you sure it is not the sprayer nozzle coming up or down from the bottom? That is what my new one does. Sometimes it gets hung on the bottom rack.