Better Living

Show Up At Government Offices Toward End Of Day

Don't spend the day at any Government Department, telephone and ask what time is their closing time. Arrive 1 hour before closing and I ASSURE you, you'll not spend more than 1 hour waiting; no matter how many people are waiting or the time of year :)

By Cajun62234 from Collinsville, IL

While you will not wait more than an hour (mainly due to most government offices do not allow overtime) you aren't always guarnteed to get what you want.

Trust me...I work for a government office.

The military must be the exception to the rule. My son-in-law is in the military and has wait to get ID's, Medical Records, etc, just to be told he must come back tomorrow as there machines just broke or they are closing. This, of course, is after many hours waiting and getting okay from his commander to go over in the first place. Not cool at all!

The first time I went to get a new social security card after I married, I had to leave-they were closing and all of us who had not been waited on were told to come back.-I had been waiting 90 minutes at that time.

I work for the county Circuit Court Records office and although we close at 5 we can't process a lot of things after 4:30, we need time for the customer to do their paperwork and then time for us to do our paperwork or data entry. We cannot work overtime without authorization from a supervisor and the presence of a supervisor.

Another time to avoid is opening time on a Monday. You may even be better off not going on Monday at all. The same is true somewhat for Friday.