HerbsGardening

Herbs and Flowers That Grow Well in Shade

What herbs and flowers do well in shade?

Sharon from Austin, TX

I don't know about herbs but I know the following flowers will grow in shade because I've grown them all: pansies, violets, johnny-jump-ups, primroses, bleeding hearts, lillies of the valley, and ferns.

Impatiens only grow well in shade! They grow in nice mounding shapes and the colors! I also have excellent luck with dahlias, caldium, and ageratum in the shade.

Hostas are also nice shade plants. They grow like neat globe and as they get too large they can be divided.

By Lynda (Guest Post)

Don't know how much shade you're wondering about, but I have Comfry in part shade under a huge tree. Because most herbs are woody stemmed, they prefer sunny locations. There are some exotic herbs tht you might research via the Internet> Google> shade loving herbs, that can be grown in certain parts of the U.S., but you need to know your "gardening zone" number, usually associated with the temperature of your area.

Then, match that zone with the plants that will grow within the temp. range of that zone.
It's sort of a science, but once you know these few things, you will have better success. It is likely that you already know more than you realize, for example, that cactus don't like much moisture/rain, prefer warmer temperatures, that apple trees and blueberries prefer cold climates, that bananas and pineapple are grown in the tropics, etc. Good luck and God bless you. : )

By (Guest Post)

If you want something tall try calla lillies. We have a very dark corner and my calas grow large & tall. I also have geraniums in shaded areas even though they like full sun. If you want a broad bush 3-4' high try lavender. Mine gets about an hour of sun a day & I have to keep cutting it back. Beware, it's a very profuse bloomer.

These are all rather permanent unless you dig them out.
Good luck. Liz

By Carol in PA (Guest Post)

Shade is tricky because there are different classifications. There are full shade, part shade and partly sunny. You need to know if your shade is in the afternoon or in the morning, too. Does the sun you recieve reflect off of concrete, brick or water? These surfaces make the sun hotter and brighter.

I have good luck with lady's mantle, hardy geranium, lamium, columbine, narcissus, and daylilies in my rural, partly shady yard.

Maybe you would think about getting a book on the subject of shade gardens.

Good luck!