Cooking TipsFood Tips

Baking with Cheese

Category Cooking Tips
contest winner icon

When baking a dish with a melted cheese topping (such as lasagna), which needs to be covered with aluminum foil for at least part of the cooking time, I always spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray. This way, I won't lose half the cheese because of it sticking to the foil.

By Irene

This is a good idea, but I found that sometimes the cheese sticks to the foil even after spraying it. Especially if it has to bake a good while. I came up with a simple solution. All of my baking dishes have little handles built in to the top ends. I'm sure everyone knows what I mean.

Anyway I take a bit of aluminum foil and form it into a good sized loose ball. Then I put this ball on each of the handles. If I have to I use a small bit of the ball to make a hook to keep it on the handle. Then I cover the dish as usual. The ball keeps the foil just high enough off of the cheese to keep it from sticking.

The main things I cook this way are semi-home made mac & cheese (I use the box and add handfuls of shredded cheese. Yummmmm!), shepherd's pie, or any other casserole that I've put cheese or any other topping on. Works great!