Baking with Cheese

Category Cooking Tips

When baking a dish with a melted cheese topping (such as lasagna), which needs to be covered with aluminum foil for at least part of the cooking time, I always spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray. This way, I won't lose half the cheese because of it sticking to the foil.

By Irene

This is a good idea, but I found that sometimes the cheese sticks to the foil even after spraying it. Especially if it has to bake a good while. I came up with a simple solution. All of my baking dishes have little handles built in to the top ends. I'm sure everyone knows what I mean.

Anyway I take a bit of aluminum foil and form it into a good sized loose ball. Then I put this ball on each of the handles. If I have to I use a small bit of the ball to make a hook to keep it on the handle. Then I cover the dish as usual. The ball keeps the foil just high enough off of the cheese to keep it from sticking.

The main things I cook this way are semi-home made mac & cheese (I use the box and add handfuls of shredded cheese. Yummmmm!), shepherd's pie, or any other casserole that I've put cheese or any other topping on. Works great!

Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsJuly 11, 2005
🌻
😷
😎
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf612188.tip.html

Cooking TipsFood Tips