GrowingGardening

Pumpkin Plants Not Setting Fruit

I am attempting to grow pumpkins. My pumpkin plants are looking great. I planted two together, kept them watered, I have lots of flowers and they are about 6 feet long. I started to get a couple of pumpkins, but they died. I planted 2 already started plants about the 20th of May and I have no pumpkins yet. Help! Thanks.

By debbie johnson from Neenah, WI

Over here in MN: A lot of us are whining about our gardens. Our zucchini, winter squash, cukes, are all not growing either. Never had a bad year for them. Carrots are only 5 inches tall. Green beans and tomatoes doing fine. We have rain. We have good soil. Our pumpkins are done before they got started. Same with onions.
I think it is this year.

Northeast Illinois! I am glad I am not the only one. My pumpkin plants are doing awesome, I get a lot of the tall blooms but not the small ones where the fruit grows. The leaves are all so huge they are taking over the garden! And yeah, my zucchini aren't doing much either.

A pumpkin patch was started by mistake with seeds from last year's pumpkins. We have lots of yellow flowers, but none have sprouted the pumpkins yet. What can I do to get fruit to set?

By E P

Answers

Try taking one of the blossoms and rub it inside of the others as if you were the bee doing the pollinating. This process works well for many veggies, but I haven't ever tried it on pumpkins. Good Luck!

I tried planting pumpkins last year and got plenty of blossoms, but no pumpkins. What do I need to do to get the actual pumpkin to grow?

By Sandy

Answers

They probably didn't get pollinated. No pollination means flowers but no pumpkins will grow.

I would just do a search engine search for "how to pollinate pumpkins" or something of that sort.

Just take a pollination brush, or a thick makeup (blush) brush.
Carefully open a male blossom, dip the brush inside, wiggle it around a bit, the pollen will collect on the brush fibres, then open a female blossom, and wiggle the brush around in there and you will have "hand pollinated" that blossom. Kinda like artificial insemination. Google how to grow pumpkins and learn the diff between male and female blossoms, the rest just takes minutes.

Bees are dwindling in numbers which further hurts natural pollination, but starting a beehive would certainly help the pollinating chores, and at the same time help preserve bee populus.