FurnitureCleaning

Smoke Smell on a Wood Bassinet

Category Furniture

I have a wood bassinett that smells from smoke. How can I clean it and get the smoke smell out of the wood? There are also 2 heavy pressboard inserts that smell. Help, the baby is coming soon.

MICHELE from NEPTUNE, NJ

The best thing I can recommend are those lava-rock-filled mesh bags for odor removal. They are available fairly cheap at the hardware store and I've used them sucessfully in a variety of situations. Worth a try!

You don't say if it is smoke from a wood stove, house fire or cigarette smoke but this cleaner works well.

General Cleaner

1 tsp borax

1/2 tsp washing soda

2 Tbsp lemon juice

1 cup HOT water

approx 3 cups water

Combine borax, washing soda and lemon juice in a spray

bottle; add 1 cup HOT water. Shake well or swirl vigorously

to mix and completely dissolve.

I would wipe it down with this cleaner, then wipe down with a clean cloth with hot water then a dry clean cloth. Keep alternating between the cleaner and the clean cloths as long as you keep getting more dirt or smoke smell off of the basinette. Because it is wood and because the liners are press board, you don't want to get it too wet or it could warp or dissolve (press board) so keep absorbing the water.

If the basinette has a finish, this may harm the finish so after you get done cleaning, take some lemon oil to the wood.

Good luck with the baby, let us know when he/she is born.

Susan from ThriftyFun

try fabrezz i love it i live in a house were i am the only non smoker and i use it and it is great

Throw it away and buy new or used from a nonsmoker. Babies lungs are far more sensitive than adults and a whole host of health problems could arise: asthma, emphysemia, chemical and smoke allergies, possibly ear infections. Smoke (and chemicals from harsh cleaning agents) also contains carcinogens such as cadnium. If you can smell it, there's a heavy concentration in the air and your baby is being exposed to it. If you get the smell out, it's still contaminated. Ask your pediatrician about cleaning products and how to keep your baby's enviroment safe.

P.S. I hope you're breastfeeding. Your baby's health is most important AND your responsibility.

http://www.nrdc  /home/fchems.asp

Hi, I know I just posted. However, in my search for a solution to my husband's recent yard sale find, smoky oak end tables, I found this link and thought it might be helpful. Good luck.

Where have you bought the lava rock bags?