Growing Mushrooms

How do I grow Mushrooms?

By Linda (Guest Post)

I don't know how to grow them on my own, but I have read/seen mushroom kits that come to your home and you can grow mushrooms continually for quite some time. I don't remember where I saw this. I think it was a Martha Stewart program. I'm sure you could Google it. Have fun!

I was able to buy a kit once at the farmer's market for button mushrooms and it was really fun. I was just looking up how to do it again the other day and I thought I would pass on this link:

http://www.mushroomadventures.com/

These guys seem to make most of the kits that other people sell, so I bet this is a better price. I plan to get one of the 1/2 button/1/2 portobella mushrooms in September.

By Nance (Guest Post)

If you want to take more effort but do it cheaply, check out the web.

Oyster mushrooms can be grown inside your house on cellulose, like newspaper, out of plastic bags. They can also be grown on stove wood pellets put in plastic bags, once cleaned with hydrogen peroxide, and inoculated.

I think it takes about a month for them to grow. They're delicious.

Shiitake mushrooms can be grown (takes a year) on hardwood outside. Small holes are drilled, and pegs with spawn are pounded in, inoculating the wood. The wood must be kept moist. Shiitakes are supposed to be very good for your health.