AdviceFrugal Living

Video And Link: Depression Era Cooking With Clara

Just wanted to take a minute to recommend to everyone that they go to You Tube and look up Great Depression Cooking. There you will find Clara Cannucciari. She gives wonderful recipes and tips as well as recalling the difficult times during the Great Depression. Here are some links:

Clara has a cookbook called Clara's Kitchen as well as a DVD. She is well worth your time to watch. She has much to share!

Editor's Note: Here is an episode from YouTube:

By Robin from Washington, IA

This lady is wonderful. This is the way I learned to cook when I was a kid, and I can tell you from a lifetime of expeience that it's just plain good cookng too. Nothing fancy, and it's the way I fed my familly. It's the way hubby and I are still eating most of the time. We do have more fresh vegetables than most people want to eat, and we have more meat when and if we want it than I did back in 1940 for instance. I was only 5 years old then, and I think we ate beans cooked with salty bacon, and white rice with cornbread most of the time. I could eat this way forever and it would never bother me at all. I wasn't raised in a restaurant by any means. Too many young people today don't know the first thing about economical cooking, but hopefully, the economy that we are all facing right now will teach them the things they'll need to know to survive. I intend to do my part in teaching them as much as I can. We need the young people just as much as they need us.

Thank you for "Clara" Robin.
Pookarina

Ye Gods and Little Goldfishes Folks! It's after 3am
on Thursday morning, and here I sit still watching
Clara. I can't remember when I've enjoyed a
cooking "show" so much...

Robin, this is a "thumb's up" winner for sure and
I just have to thank you again for sharing Clara
with us. Where in the world did you find her?
Pookarina / Julia

I love Clara, made her spinach omelet yesterday. This is so easy and fast. Because her recipes only have a few ingredients it is easy to cut them down for one or two people if you don't cook for a big family. I added some shaved parmesan cheese and Adobo seasoning to the omelet. Yum!

I also made her pasta and peas. I loved it. DD wanted meat added so for her I would add sliced and browned Italian sausage. This dish was fun to make. Clara is the greatest!