Why Are My Tree Tomatoes Tall and Spindly?

My tomatoes in containers are 4 1/2 ft tall and quite spindly. What have I done wrong? They were planted from 2 inch shoots about 4 weeks ago.

They are supposed to be "tree tomatoes" from Gardener's Choice and produce tons of tomatoes. Getting through to this company to ask a question is next to impossible.

By JoieBK from Palm Coast, FL

Are you fertilizing them regularly? When you plant in pots (or buckets) the plants do not have access to the nutrients that they would normally receive from the ground. You must fertilize them regularly ( once a week usually) with something like Miracle Grow. Just read the directions. Good luck!

Miracle Grow has a tomato fertilizer also that is formulated just for tomatoes. I also use it on clematis as they need the same nutrients. But about your tomatoes, personally, I would not buy anything from that company. They do not have a good reputation.

If you go to Dave's garden, they have a page that people give positive and negative reviews of how the company's customer service is and none of the companies want to be on the negative list. I think that one usually is on the negative list. Check it out.

Laniegirl, Since I placed the order, it has been a negative experience, you are so right, I won't use this company again. I did find Dave's Garden and the page you mentioned, there was nothing but negative.

vaherblady, I am fertilizing with miracle grow for toms. We have had so much rain though, I have been afraid that I would drown them (even tho toms need lots of water) They have good drainage, and I am using a meter to check moisture. I will be more agressive with the fertilizer

Thank to both for your responses.

Home and Garden Gardening VegetablesJune 2, 2010
🎂
🌻
🎃