FurnitureFurniture

Zippers on Sofa Cushions

Category Furniture

Many people make the mistake of assuming that the zipper on sofa cushion covers is so you can remove it and toss it in the washing machine. Look for a tag on the cushion for cleaning instructions.

Most cushion covers will shrink if you launder them like you would sheets or clothing, leaving them unusable.

Oh my I was SERIOUSLY considering this the other day and decided against it. Instead I took a damp wash cloth with light soap.
It worked okay but not that great. Interested in other ideas. I am afraid to use too heavy of soap which might end up attracting more dirt later.

The only reason the zipper is there is to close the covering once it is made, cause they can't sew it closed easily with a sewing machine. They definitely wont be usable if you remove them to wash them whether by washing machine or dry cleaning.. Don't try it, they will be a total loss.

By cillabill (Guest Post)

I have washed the covers of some of my couches.
I wash them in cold water, after they go through the rinse cycle, I turn the dial to rinse, and rinse them again. As a matter of fact, I rinse all my laundry an extra time. But for the covers, I don't dry them -- I put them on the pillows straight from the washer and let them dry. Works for me.