Planting and Growing Tomatoes

Tips for planting and growing tomatoes. Post your ideas.

When planting tomatoes, save rainwater in a bucket until time to plant them. Before you plant them, pour the rainwater in the hole. This way, the plants get the water they need without the chlorine of tap water which often dries the tomato plant out. Do not start watering the plants with tap water the rain will be enough, because if you start watering a tomato plant you have to do it every day.

By Michelle

I think this tip may work in areas with lots of rain, but in the arid west, if you don't water your tomatoes, they will die.

Tomatoes only need to be watered once or twice a week, regardless of how you water them. If they are watered too much, you'll get lots of leaves and not many tomatoes.

I've never found that tap water dries out my plants. I'm not sure of your basis for suggesting that it does.

By sandy (Guest Post)

i have my tomatos on my porch in a planter. i need to water it most every day because it dries out. i have never heard of not watering and not using tap water just sounds not usable for most folks.

To make your tomatoes grow better, dig a hole about a foot or so deep, fill with wet, crumpled up newspaper. Then pour water on top of that, then put dirt over it and plant your tomatoes. Then put the dirt around them. This helps them to grow their roots deeper by going to the water, which is in the newspaper. This has worked great for me.

By Dede Payne

By Dede Payne (Guest Post)

I'm sorry I didn't say that better. I still water, tap or rain water, but the paper helps to keep them from drying out so fast.

I wasn't suggesting that I don't have to still water, this just helps me to have healthier plants. Sorry for the confusion on that.

By ron tredgett (Guest Post)

on some of my tomatoes I have a large black mark at the base of some of the fruit, I would appreciate any help you could give me on this matter.
thanking you in anticipation
R W Tredgett

By Vince (Guest Post)

If your tomatos have black spots on the ends, it's called "Blossom End Rot" and is apparently caused by low calcium levels. Either you need to amend your soil with some calcium source OR you're watering is too inconsistent so that the amount of calcium that your plant takes up (it can only get it when it's drawing water from the soil) varies too much, with it dipping low. Apparently the plant robs the necessary calcium from the tomato.

I'm sure I'm not explaining this properly, so just do a search on "Blossom End Rot"