KitchenHome Improvement

Wood Stain Not Drying on Cabinets

I stripped the stain from cabinets that have quite a bit of age on them. Now that they are stripped, I have applied Minwax stain on them, but the stain is not drying. What did I do wrong and how can I fix my dilemma?

By myra from Greensboro, NC

I don't know how you can fix it, maybe blow a fan on them, and try that. Otherwise you might have to start over. The cause could have been that the humidity was too high, or was the wood by any chance slightly damp when you applied the stain.

Did you use a steel wool pad going w the grain after removing the old finish and wipe down w clean cloth? Might not have gotten the old oil out of finish totally removed from the grain in wood. It's more difficult to get hardened stains off wood. I refinished cabinet door panels using an electric sander. You may need to do this. You should get better stain results you're hoping for.

Anonymous

Have you wiped the excess (still wet) stain off with soft absorbent cloths yet?