AdviceFood Tips

Saving Money on Fat-Free Half-n-Half

Any ideas for saving money on fat-free half-n-half. I use fat-free half-n-half in my coffee but it's more expensive than the whole-fat variety. I also like skimmed-evaporated milk in my coffee, if I don't have my half-n-half, but it's not any cheaper.

Laure from North East, MD

We use coffee mate in our coffee, very good & cheap. Good luck.

Why don't you just use regular half and half and reduce the amount you use? Years ago on Weight Watchers I was actually measuring my half and half as I made my morning coffee. (We don't realize how full of calories our coffees can be!!) It was easy to cut back a little more each week. You get used to it in just a few mornings.

Also, anything fat free normally has more sugars and all kinds of other things to make up for the lack of fat. Compare the ingredients. I bet you can't pronounce most of what is in the fat free stuff. My whole half and half containes milk, cream and a stabilizer.

I used to buy fat free versions of everything until i realized how processed they were.

Tracey

I mix FF half & half with vanilla soy milk and love the taste. I don't do it necessarily for the cost but because I'm lactose intolerant but it is saving some.

I buy the store brand of ff half n' half. Over here, it's Albertson's or Fred Meyer brand. Cheaper, and it's usually the same price as whole-fat, esp. when it's on sale, about 1.79 a quart. I use it a lot, for potpie mixes, cream soups, in my tea (yes, I'm the only native Seattlite who doesn't like the taste of coffee), and it's great in mashed/smashed potatoes and garlic--no butter needed!

Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions! I also just found these recipes using dry milk powder: http://www.hill  milkproducts.htm
I'm going to try the skimmed evaporated milk recipe. I'll have to do the calculations though to see if it's actually cheaper, but I think it is. I have also tried my store brand FF half-n-half, but it's only about 20 cents cheaper and it's definitely not as good - not worth it to save 20 cents!

Half-n-Half is half milk and half cream. Fat free half-n-half is a misnomer. Here is what it really is,
Ingredients: Nonfat milk, milk, corn syrup, artificial color, sugar, dipotassium phosphate, sodium citrate, mono and diglycerides, carrageenan, natural and artificial flavors, vitamin A palmitate.

You would be better off with the natural product.