AdviceDogs

Products to Help Lift a Dog

My male, standard size Dachshund weights about 20 lbs. As any Dachshund owner knows this breed of dog can often have back problems. I am a senior lady and my dog is getting more than a little heavy for me to lift in and out of the car or picking him up for any reason.

I'd like some recommendations from my frugal fun friends for any aids that you have tried to make life a little easier for yourself as well as your beloved pet. I've seen such things online as a "bottoms up leash" or a quick lift". But I haven't seen them in the pet stores. My dog is recovering from back surgery but doing really well for which I am thankful. I had many sleepless nights and quite a few tears.

By Betty from Lubbock, TX

Perhaps you can use a beach towel which is a longer towel. You would fold it long wise so it would fit under her front legs to under her back legs. (like a cradle. Pull the long ends up to you and you should be able to help her up the steps or to place her on the floor. I know this worked with our very large dog. We used a shorter towel as we didn't have as far to reach.

I wish you and your baby the very best!

If you google it, you should find some pet catalogs online that have the product you are looking for. One that comes to mind is www.petedge.com, but there are other sites that carry thing like that.

If you go online and google "Pet Ramps" you will find lots of aids that would work great for you.

One thing though, don't even bother looking at the pet steps. I also have a standard (and a mini too) dachshund and I have tried the steps before. I've actually tried several different models. They work great for "normal length" dogs, but dachsie's are so long in the back that they have trouble maneuvering up them, and going down them is almost dangerous.

But a ramp that is light-weight and you could pick up and slide onto the back seat when not needed would be just the thing for you. Most of the pictures show the ramp at the back end of a station wagon or SUV, but there's no reason why you couldn't put the top end up on the side of the seat for your dog.

I'm not at your point yet, but getting there quick. So I'll be getting one for my dogs this winter.

Hello,
Perhaps your fur-baby needs to loose a bit of weight. Please go to your Veterinarian and ask then for any advice. There are also ramps available for this.

The dog is not overweight as one suggested. He is a standard dachshund; not a miniture.