StorageFood and Recipes

Store Bulk Foods In Recycled Baby Wipe Containers

We use a lot of the large round baby wipe containers. When empty scrub them out good and put dry bulk foods in it. Replace the lid and put it into the pantry for storage.

Source: Dreamed it up, waste not, want not.

By BJ from Mid Missouri

You should never store food items in a used non-food container. The chemicals in the plastic can enter and contaminate the food. Always store food in food safe plastic.

Anonymous

Storing dry food goods is much more safe and better for taste quality when stored in glass jars rather than plastic ...

You could use those containers for storing plastic grocery bags, ribbon, TP when camping or hiking, use as a piggy bank, to sprout plant seeds, etc ... The sky is the limit :-)

Not all plastics are suitable for food storage so I'd be careful. I like to store pastas, rice, legumes, etc in large glass canning jars. Years ago I got a real good deal on a case of half gallon size canning jars and they are perfect in the pantry for dry goods. Also there are plenty of empty glass jars to recycle from spaghetti sauce, mayo, pickles, etc. They can be used over and over and even washed in the dishwasher and you'll always have new ones to replace any that might break. I like using glass over plastic these days. It's not always as practical but I do think for food storage it works better and is safer.