CatsPets

Putting Butter on Your Cats Paws When You Move

Category Cats

I have been told that when moving to a new house with your cats you should cover their paws with butter to stop them roaming and getting lost. Does anyone know why?

Zebody from Scotland

I can't think of why that would work. It's listed as a myth here:

http://www.cat- … .au/CatMyths.htm

Anonymous

Must keep them inside of your new residence for minimum of 30 days to insure that they acclimate to the home and don't want to find the other place! Except my husband and i had a big fight about letting cat out from garage. He was formerly a feral, and i wanted him in the new home for 30 days. He loved our new yard, tho, a third acre, with highigj fence, and didn't run away! Of course he liked the garage before and never ever wanted to be in the hoyse. So strange. I prayed that i could forgive my husband if the cat got lost

maybe it keeps them busy licking instead of fretting over the move.

Cats are very much about smells. They mark their territory by smell. In addition to spraying, you've probably noticed a cat rubbing certain oily parts of their bodies against a post, tree, rock, person, etc. When they rub against objects or people, their scent get left on the object or person. In addition, a bit of that object's or person's scent gets rubbed onto the cat. When they wash, they become even more familiar with the scents of their territory, as they inhale those scents with every lick.

I heard from my sister that you're supposed to put butter on a cat's nose after moving. The cat will clean his nose by rubbing with his paws and licking the butter off his paws. In doing this, the scents of his "new" territory will become more quickly imprinted on its brain. The idea makes "scents" in theory. I don't know if it really works.

I ran some web searches, and found many sites that seek to explain the mysterious behavior of our feline friends. Try http://www.xmis … ilbox/whycat.htm , http://www.perf … s.com/help1.html , http://vetmedic … /a/aa051303b.htm , or
http://www.cat- … com/rubbing.html .

CF (guest)

The thought was that they would spend so long licking the butter from their paws, they would forget about trying to get back to the old place and instead settle at the new one. It's not a good idea though.

Ha!...do that to my cats and they WILL run and hide!!! I think that's definitely a myth!
JoAnn

Yes! it does work! I have done this several times and it worked every time for all my cats!!

Oh, I would never do that to my kitties, but mine don't go outdoors.

When I moved I immediately had the bed set up, put the linens on it, put the kitties in the room and closed the door. They felt "at home" with the scents and familiar bed.

Jennifer
Northern Virginia

Definitely an "old wives tale" LOL

Anonymous

I don't think it will prevent them from roaming and getting lost but if they should ever come across a lobster, they will be ready for a great feast!!

I have your answer. It's not a myth or an old wive's tale. These people who say it is in previous feedback have obviously never tried it and have no idea what they're talking about. I moved several years ago and was distraught when my cat disappeared for 3 weeks. When I moved after, I out butter on her paws and she didn't disappear at all!!! Appparantly its because whhen they lick off the butter, they remove traces of the old territory (their comfort zone or 'home') which makes them less likely to try to stray to refind their comfort zone.

This most certainly makes your cat know he, or she is "home". I've done this over the years, and it has never failed. Anyway, it'll be a treat your little friend will appreciate.

I have always rubbed butter on the paws on any new cat i have had,none of them have ever strayed,even rescue older cats.I heard it gives them the smell of their new home,i never wanted to loose anyof my cats,well it worked.