FamilyBetter Living

Looking for the Name and Words to a Poem

Does anybody know the name and words to a poem about an elderly man that gets all cleaned up and spends the day of his birthday sitting on his porch waiting for his adult children to drop by and they never show up?

By Joan B.

It Was Grandfather's Birthday" by Rudy Joe Mano came up when I googled your question. It has the words printed too from an old Ann Landers column. starts with "It was Grandfather's birthday. He was 79. He got up early, shaved, showered, combed his hair and put on his Sunday best so he would look nice when they came."

I had never heard of this poem, but I found it, read it, and it had me in tears. A good lesson. Thanks for sharing.