Smell Out of Washer?

0
Share
4
Save
Follow
Print

How do I get rid of the smell of white spirits in the washing machine and clothes?

By Elaine Christine Beckett from Sutton Coldfield. England

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 690 Feedbacks

Try cleaning the inside with white vinegar or baking soda or both.

What is a 'white spirit'?

England's "white spirits" is what we call "mineral spirits". I asked my friend in England.

Don't worry you can fix it! This happened to me:

Whilst washing my brushes I spilled a full jar of white spirit, mopped it up with a towel then washed the towel - disaster! the machine absolutely stunk! We tried all the stuff posted here - vinegar, bleach, even some special £6.99 descaling washing machine cleaner, but it still stunk. Then we tried washing lots of old /£shop towels which soak up the white spirit.

When they air the smell goes out of them and if you keep washing, drying, washing etc the smell transfers to the towels, and is dissipated in the air. took about 5/7 days of continuous washing though!

I think you should still try the bleach/vinegar first, then go on to this as its
expensive in water and electric. (but cheaper than buying a new machine.)

I have made the mistake of putting a piece of clothing soaked in white spirits in with my normal washing. Now I cannot get rid of the smell from inside my drum, also my laundry comes out smelling of white spirits.

I have run my machine several times, but the smell seems to get worse. Please has anyone any tips on how I can get rid of the smell? It is a fairly new machine as well so I cannot afford to buy a new one.

By angela tuttle from Norfolk, England

Answers:

Smell Out of Washer

I don't know actually, but here are some ideas: Go to the manufacturer's website and send the question to them.

Try a product that is used to eliminate odors from carpeting, like a pet odor eliminator. Check out this product: affresh.com I don't know if it will work for your specific problem, but may be worth investigating. Good luck. (09/11/2009)

By Laure Sullivan

Smell Out of Washer

Run a "rinse" cycle with 3 cups of vinegar (clear). There will be a minimal vinegar odor when finished (if any) and leave the washer "open" to air out. Any vinegar odor will be short lived and will not be noticeable in the next wash load (I religiously add vinegar to my rinse cycle. It eliminates all perfume and remaining soap residue. Clothes come out squeaky clean). Plus the vinegar will dissolve any soap buildup in the discharge lines (if used periodically). (09/14/2009)

By Cajun

When doing laundry, why do I get an awful smell when washing clothes when the washer is running during the cycle?

Bridget from AZ

Answers:

Smell Out of Washer

Hello. There is a little trap somewhere on your washer that collects fuzzies, small objects, and what not. Also, it may be time to clean or replace all your tubing that connects to your washer. Check for minute leaks that could be rotting your floor too. Another thing, if you can lift the top to your washer and look for rotting build up, you would be amazed at what gets trapped in the nooks and crannies. Maybe that is where our socks go? (10/10/2007)

By Mary Stewart

Smell Out of Washer

Try a new product from Whirlpool called Affresh. (10/11/2007)

By Diane Arnett

Smell Out of Washer

Run the washer through a full cycle with no clothes in it with liquid dishwasher soap. Worked for us. (02/12/2008)

By mark mathias

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesJuly 31, 2010
👔
🎆
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf676334.tip.html