Fireplaces and StovesHome Improvement

Replacing a Woodburning Fireplace Insert with a Gas Insert

Does anyone know where I can find DIY information about replacing a damaged woodburning fireplace with a new gas fireplace? The old wood burning fireplace rusted all the way through and is no longer useable.

By Stacey from Huntsville, TX

There shouldn't be any problem. The insert fits inside the fireplace opening and is sealed off with insulation on the outside frame. You could also check with a/the place that sells the inserts. They do a great job of keeping the home warm! Enjoy! Only drawback is you can't watch the fire as it burns.

I will tell you straight what I think. If I were you, I would take out the old woodburning fireplace and then call your gas company to come, inspect the chimney while they are there, and then send someone out to help you run the gas lines. You shouldn't be messing with gas lines yourself. You definitely need a professional or you MAY be putting yourself in BIG danger of a fire or carbon dioxide poisoning.