Ranges & OvensAppliances

Oven Racks Roughen By Cleaning Cycle

The last time I used the self-cleaning controls on my oven, I forgot to remove the oven racks. Now the surface of the racks is not as smooth and it's difficult to slide the racks in and out. Is there anything I can do to restore the surface?

By Lois Crane from Midwest

Take a plastic scrubbie and scrub as it if were steel wool or sand paper. The plastic will not scratch. I always leave my racks in. Then wipe down the whole inside of the stove with vinegar and baking soda/dish soap water. Picks up the residue.

Rub wax paper on the racks. Rub the side areas of the racks, where the racks slide into the side grooves, especially well. Your racks will now glide smoothly!

I wipe the edges of the racks and the support for the racks with cooking spray or cooking oil. Spray/apply oil onto a paper towel and wipe thoroughly. This usually lasts until the next time I have to clean the oven.