StainsCleaning

Grease Stain On Fabric Purse

I spilled pizza sauce on a fabric Kate Spade purse (possibly silk). I immediately blotted with club soda and found a dry cleaner who would clean it. All of the red is gone but a faded grease stain remains after he used dry cleaning solvent several times. He recommended I try mineral oil or paint thinner or lighter fluid at home on the stain. I am afraid to try this. Also, the purse has a rectangular shape that seems to be from cardboard sides and a bottom within the fabric so soaking is not an option. I appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks,
Janet Bradley

I agree with the dry cleaner. I always use either lighter fluid (the cheaper choice, but I can't stand the smell) or GooGone for grease stains, and it's always worked without leaving a stain of it's own. I've not had any problem with either one, but one lady who wrote said she couldn't get the smell of the GooGone out of her daughter's shirt (she'd used it to take off a sticker). If you do use it and it leaves a smell (they sell an orange-scented GooGone, and I think it smells good), you might try letting it dry outside somewhere protected from the sun (so it doesn't bleach out the colors). If the stain is such that you won't use your purse with the stain, I say go for it. Good luck.

Terry from ChilliOH

have you tried sprinkling it liberally with baby powder to see if that will absorb the grease? This worked on a blouse I had. Sprinkle it on and let it sat for a hour or two.

I used to work at a dry cleaner's and they told me that lighter fluid is basically the same as the dry cleaning solvent. I would not put any more on it. Try blotting the spot with lemon juice on a cotton ball and sit or lay your purse in the sun for a few hours. This has worked on many stains that I thought were impossible to remove!

Terry,

The orange Goo Gone worked. I cannot believe it. It took using Gain detergent to get the Goo Gone out, but the purse is now completely stain free. Thank you so much!

Janet

Use Dawn dishwashing liquid...it takes grease out of everything!

could you use goo gone or lighter fluid on leather?
something in my travel bag spilled onto my BRAND NEW tan leather bag...heartbreak...i think it was either shampoo or hair gel...smells nice; looks yuck!