Housetraining 1 Year Old Min Pin

I had a Min Pin that I had house trained, and he was outside and somebody ran over him a couple days ago (I am 23 and cried like a baby). My 2 year old was super attached to the little guy so I got another one and the people that I got him from had done nothing to try to house train him. He is 1 year old, any tips or ideas on how to get him at least started house training? I wasn't sure if crate training would work with him already being a year old. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Teresa from Ohio

So sorry about you Min Pin getting hit. I am on my second one, first one got hit also. I find that they are so smart, that it takes very little training. Put them on the leash in the A.M. take them out and give them the opportunity to do their business.Same thing at noon and twice in the evening.
Mine learn very fast, that the leash equals a pee stop.
Good luck. IMA3

Yes, you can house train a 1 year old dog. Do not take your dog out on a leash to do it's business all over the neighborhood. First, your neighbors will hate you(even if you use a pooper scooper it can't scoop up urine, which kills grass). Do you really have time to do this 4 times a day? Is it safe to go out at night? What happens if you're sick or for whatever reason just can't do it? In the thriftyfun box "Search for Answers" type in "litter box training a dog" and you will find lots of good ideas.

I absolutely have time. If I didn't I wouldn't have
an inside dog. Watch Dog Whisperer, he knows
how important it is to walk dogs. We live in
the country, his poop can stay on the side of the
road. As for the neighbors, they all have dogs
too. Most of them run loose. Fenced yards are
a great thing. Ima3

Min Pins are usually excitable little dogs and like to run and explore where they shouldn't. It's not a good idea to let them out loose for this reason.
As far as potty training any dog, just take him to a spot in your yard or wherever you want him to go. Do this over and over for a couple of days when it's time for him to go. Wherever a dog gets used to going becomes their bathroom. It's easier when they are young puppies but you can train an older dog the same way. I have 4 dogs, and their potty is one corner of my back yard.

Good luck and enjoy your cute litte friend!

Sorry about your dog getting hit! Of course you cried - not like a baby but like a person whose dog got hit, it's a loss! My dog got house trained pretty fast by my taking her right outside (always on leash, she is never outside offleash) even once an hour, and I had her in a crate by my bed when sleeping (they naturally avoid fouling their sleep space). At first I would take her out two or three times per night, but as she got older I would say 'NO' and she would lie back down and sleep again. They sleep all day, so they have a hard time with insomnia and boredom during the night. I have since built a pen with a mini-door out the garage wall, so she can go out into her little potty yard herself.

Sorry about your dog, but that reinforces the rule about no dog should ever run loose. EVER! A 1 year old can be trained just as a puppy would. Take him out regularly-especially after he eats. Crate train him when you can't be with him. Think of him as baby being potty trained.

So sorry to hear about your other min pin. My two min pins aged 4 and 5 are new to being in the house-trained club. My 4 yr. old is newly incontinent and pees in her sleep, we just bought her a diaper and she's used it once. Both of mine are incredibly stupid and it was very, very challenging trying to house-train them. Plus, we've had them since they were just weaned from their mothers.