Recycled CraftsCrafts

Use Bottle Caps As Checkers

You can make your own checker board and use the red and black coke caps. They also make great replacements. When it it is faced down with open side up, it is not a king. To become a king, flip it over with the solid side on top. You can draw a crown on top with permanent markers, to help remind small children.

By Southernbelleklb from Jefferson, LA

When I used to volunteer at Petsmart for the local animal shelter, they would use these, with a hole drilled in them and put on a string, hung in the cat cages. They really love these toys. Also I am going to start learning how to paint little roses, etc on small objects and then attach a magnet to the back.

I think it would be fun to go and make small decoupage collages on them or inside them. They are good for starting seeds in a small bit of paper towel that is kept wet. They can be color coordinated, or put in groups of color and put in Zip lock bags., They can be used with a piece of paper with several squares of color. This is for children to match the bottle top color with the large square or triangle on the paper.

Also, you can have paper cups with numbers written on them. The young child can put however many caps in the cup that the number is written on the cup. It is a pre math exercise for preschoolers.

Also for fairs and such, you can try to throw the bottle caps into a bowl of water, and hit floating duckies (you have little pieces of candy and each child wins). Also you can go and put them on a piece of construction paper and do a happy face.

I like to save them just to look at them in a ziplock bag, and stack them, or otherwise play with them. They are just fun to me. But I am entertaining the idea of putting the Lords Prayer in one and writing really small. I have not done that as of yet.

Blessings,

Robyn

I would watch that the ones you use for preschoolers do not go through a toilet paper roll. Anything that can go through a toilet paper roll can go downn a preschooler's throat and choke them. You cannot be too careful!

Great idea! I have been collecting the milk caps for that very same reason.