Creative Planters for Garden Focal Points

Interesting focal points in your garden don't always have to include terra cotta pots. See what you have around the house that would make a creative planter.

I like the contrast of old metal against the softness of the plants. Here is a vintage tea kettle with a young nasturtium plant. I've hung it from a wrought iron stand in a patch of bee balm.

Don't forget to put drainage holes in the bottom of your new containers, or make a layer of stone before adding soil.

By ~gloria from western NY

Love your idea for using different things for planters. Have you considered using a worn out wheel barrow?

They are great and usually the bottom already has holes, so you don't have to worry about drainage. :-)

Hi! Love the kettle planter* I love to use different things as planters. something quirky always adds that special touch .;-D

Thanks Jay. I like the hunt for quirky things as much as using them.

Thank you, Missysmom. Yes, I'd love to use an old wheelbarrow. Unfortunately, we are still using it as a wheelbarrow. It will have to have no bottom at all before my husband gives it up. In the meantime, I've found some other neat stuff. Photos to follow when all the flowers are blooming.