SafetyBetter Living

Keep Your Purse Out Of Sight

Ladies, when travelling in the car, don't put your purse on the seat beside you. Lay it on the floor out of sight. Friends of mine were travelling through the states and a fellow came up to the car and asked directions to some place. Their window was slightly ajar. He said, "Roll down the window so I can hear you better." My friend rolled down the window, he dove through the open window, grabbed her purse and was gone like a flash. She had all her good jewellery in her purse, all of it gone, plus charge cards, etc.

By Vivian from Canada

Oh my, what a story! Well I think also it is a good idea not only to have your purse out of sight but do not roll your window down too much for a stranger. It is really bad how the world has gotten....a scarey place but if you are woman out alone, you really can't take a chance. Perhaps it is better to just tell someone you don't know the answer to what they are asking. With a total stranger like that, you don't know their intentions.

Also I would like to mention, do not leave your purse in your vehicle and I wouldn't do it even if you think it is hidden. You don't know if someone is watching. Two yrs ago, my van was broken into in broad daylight at my daughter's gymnastics lesson. I stupidly left my purse in my van rather than to have to take it in. I really wasn't certain if I hid it on the floor behind the front seat or got distracted and just left on the passenger seat....but when we came out my window had been broken and the purse was gone. I didn't lose much money but he/she got credit cards, keys, personal info, checkbook, etc....and also pictures of my children that I couldn't replace. Do not carry so much stuff in your purses, ladies and not anything you wouldn't want to be without if someone stole it!

connect it to your seat belt

That is a good tip! There was one lady in our town that had been robbed about 2 or 3 times. The last time it happened in broad daylight outside of the dollar store she happened to work at. This time she was prepared and they got away with her purse!! However this time she had left an empty purse on the car seat!! And they sped away thinking they had gotten something. This gutsy old lady is probably in her 70's and made the 6 o'clock news!

Those are all good ideas !!! I have another suggestion. When you go grocery shopping or anywhere that has carts, lock your purse in the child's seatbelt. Still don't venture far from the cart,as someone could just take the cart and all!!!.

Judy(bjptl)

Hook your purse in your seat belt. No snatch and run.