Make Your Own Instant Oatmeal

Instant oatmeal is pretty quick and easy to make yourself to have at the ready. No need for all those little baggies! This recipe is especially nice for those of us who have kids or otherwise demanding lifestyle where we need something quick and healthy.

If your family eats instant oatmeal, you can save a significant amount of money, by making it yourself. All you need is: quick cooking or instant oats, sugar (either white or brown), salt (I prefer kosher salt), and optional flavorings such as cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, or chopped dried fruit.

I use my stand mixer for this, but of course you could just use a bowl. First, combine 1/2-1 cup or so of sugar with two teaspoons or so of salt. Then mix in about two quarts of oats. Then pour the mix into whatever storage vessel you have.

This works out best if you have access to large bags of quick cooking oats. You can find such a thing through Costco, a food co-op, restaurant supply, etc. A 25 pound bag of Bob's Red Mill at my local Cash and Carry is $14.28, which works out to about 3.5 cents per ounce. For a quick comparison, a decent brand of oatmeal is about 40 cents per ounce. Granted, this doesn't factor in the small amount of sugar and other flavorings, but I think you get the picture!

Source: http://www.mysuburbanhomestead.com/homemade-instant-oatmeal

By Vegetable Garden Cook from Beavercreek, OR

Make Your Own Instant Oatmeal

Food and Recipes Recipes Convenience MixesJanuary 6, 2011
💘
🍀