AdviceHome Improvement

Hot Water Smells Like Burned Rubber

Why does my hot water smell like burned rubber for the first 10 seconds that I run it. It is in a newly-built cottage with all new plumbing and a new water heater. No one is living in the cottage yet, so the hot water only gets used for about one gallon each day. I'm trying to purge the water heater hoping that will do the trick.

Jamie from Andalusia, AL

By Dawn, Guilford CT (Guest Post)

Do you have a well? I am very sensitive to scents and told my family I smelled a "fuel or oil" smell in my glass of water, they told me I was crazy. Well, not even four days later the well man was at my house replacing the pump. Some people are more sensitive to smell than others.

Good luck to you.

If not a well, do you have plastic pipes? If it stops after the water is running, it's probably not a problem in the the tank, but the pipes.