Making Valentine Monkeys
Some felt, fun fur, stuffing, and your sewing skills are almost all that is needed to make these cheerful monkey Valentine's Day gifts. This is a guide about making Valentine monkeys
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Any child would love one of these cuties for Valentine's Day. You can even wrap one around a gift or gather a troupe of them together. The magnets in their hands let you pose them any way you want!
Approximate Time: 2 hrs. approx.
- felt in your choice of color
- fur material in your choice of color
- 2 button magnets - 3/8 inch by 3/4 inch
- 2 wiggle eyes
- heart shaped buttons
Note:Be sure when inserting magnets into hands, that you have the correct sides of each facing in the correct direction. Magnets have a negative and positive side to them and they need to be on the correct sides to magnetize to one another.
- Use pattern and cut out monkey body parts.
- On one head piece, sew a heart button on for a nose. With black thread, sew a mouth.
- Put head pieces together and place a small piece of fur in between them at the top of the head. Sew head together from ear to ear, stitching through hair as you go.
- Insert some stuffing to fill top of head.
- Sew large heart button in middle of one body piece.
- Place body pieces together and insert inside of head, lining up to the dotted line shown on pattern.
- Pin body to head through the back side. Begin sewing head closed, inserting stuffing into the head, as you go. Now you should have a stuffed closed head with an empty unsewn body attached.
- Cut 2 strips from the fur material, approximately 3 inches by 7 inches.
- Put right sides together and stitch along the long side to form a tube. Repeat for other arm. Turn tubes right side out.
- Insert arms between body pieces and pin closed.
- Cut 2 strips from fur material, approximately 3 inches by 6 inches. Sew into tubes as you did for the arms. Turn right side out.
- Begin sewing sides of body, catching arm fur well as you sew.
- Leave bottom open and insert leg tubes. Pin legs through one layer of body.
- Stuff body and re-pin body closed. Sew bottom closed.
- Cut out feet and hands. Take the 2 pieces of one hand and sew together, leaving end open. Slide a magnet into the hand. Gather end of arm and insert into hand. Sew edge closed well. Repeat for other arm.
- Sew feet together, leaving end open.
- Insert legs inside open end and sew closed.
- Make little bows from ribbon and sew one on top of each foot.
- Sew small heart button to middle of each ear.
- Glue on wiggle eyes.
- Use pattern and cut banana from thin cardboard or cardstock.
- Cut 2 banana peels using pattern from yellow felt. See photos below for card assembly stages.
- Place peels together and sew across bottom and up both sides, approx. 2". Put dab of glue on end of banana card and slip into peel.
- Using sharp scissors, cut strips down banana peel.
- Write saying on card.
By Mary from FL