Cooking From ScratchFood Tips

Trouble Melting White Chocolate

Why do white chocolate chips "not" melt the same as semi-sweet ones? I make peppermint bark, and had no problems with the dark under layer, but the top (white) layer just won't melt right (sometimes). The frustrating thing is that sometimes it is OK, mostly not so much.

By Eileen M. from Elk Grove, CA

I have no problems melting white chocolate chips. In fact, I did some fudge yesterday and it came out great. I put about 3/4 of a cup of chips in a microwave-safe bowl and put it in the microwave for about 45 seconds; gave it a stir; put the bowl back in for about 30 seconds more. A few stirs and it was as smooth as silk.
Hope that has helped and good luck.