AdviceCleaning

Emptying a Bagless Vacuum Cleaner

I have a bagless upright vacuum cleaner and I hate it. Whenever I try to empty the dirt canister I get filthy dirty. Is there a trick to doing this so dust doesn't fly everywhere and get all over everything, including me?

Grandma B from Coshocton, OH

Don't feel alone, I bought one too, and I can empty the basket, but cleaning the filter is the pits.
What I do is put it in a walmart bag ( with my hand inside the bag) and shake it really well. Sometimes I take it outside and bang it on the fence. (still in bag) so it catches all the flying junk.
My daughter just bought a Dyson, so I am getting her Rainbow with a water basin. This will make me happier I am sure. Good luck

I save the plastic bags I put fruit and veggies in at the store. I use a Kleenex square box to store them in. When I empty my vacuum cleaner I put the plastic bag over the top opening and making sure it fits, I then tip the plastic box over and the dirt and stuff I collected is in the plastic bag. I also take a quick look at that "stuff" to make sure I didn't vacuum up something I shouldn't have.

I have one and I love it!! I take a plastic shopping bag, put the canister in it upside down closing the top of bag around the bottom of the canister. One good wack with my hand empties it and all the dirt & dust is in the bag. It may take you a few tries, but you will get the hang of it...

Empty it outside, if possible. That's what I did.

I usually just empty the container in the garbage and then take the filter outside and bang in on the pavement until no more comes off. If you dont clean out the filter each time it will not pick up as well. Sometimes I have to clean mine out twice while I am vacuuming, but its worth it. Just be sure NOT to use water on the filter. You can wash out the screen, but NOT the filter. If you try to wash the filter, the dust and water become almost like mud and it clogs the pores of the filter.

I TOO DO AS KIMMCG DOES

I know what you mean. I have one too, and I hate it!
What I do is get a large bag that covers the whole canister and shake it in there. Keep the bag closed for a few minutes for the dust to settle, then, open it carefully and take the canister out slowly.
That's worked for me quite well. I hope that helps.

Yes, I hate the process of emptying the dust cup and cleaning up the filter. The HEPA filter is supposed to trap all the allergents, but when you clean it, you end up getting all the dust and allergents back to you! I use plastic bag to cover it then shake it inside the bag, but still end up breathing in a lot of dust. I then wash the cup and fiter with water. It is time consuming and painful. I'd rather go back to bagged vacuum cleaner but it is hard to find one (especially small ones) nowadays.

Well that didn't work. I will try again. I too empty my bag less canister into a plastic shopping bag, but it really isn't a great option. Oh well, it is what it is. However, I noticed we are emptying our bag less vacuums into a bag. It's not as clean or simple as the bagged vacuum cleaners.