Something is Eating My Hibiscus

Category Pest Control
From slugs to rodents, many animals like to feed off of flower shoots. This is a guide about something is eating my hibiscus.

Question:

I just planted two small hibiscus plants outside this early fall season, and something has cut off (or eaten) all the small branches and leaves from the plant. Are there any animals or birds that would devour this plant? Do you think it'll come back next spring? How can I prevent to from happening again?

Donna from Sterling Heights, MI

Answer:

It sounds like you have deer in your neighborhood. As days grow shorter in the fall, it's common for them to leave the woods in search of food. They happen to love hibiscus. Whether yours will come back again in the spring depends on how much damage was done and whether the plants had enough to time to settle in and establish good roots.

Organic Deer Repellent

Here is an organic recipe for repelling deer:

• 1 egg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp dish soap
  • 1 tbsp cooking oil

Mix this with one gallon of water and apply with a spray bottle every 1 to 2 weeks (and after rain). Unfortunately, during times when food is in short supply, deer will eat just about anything and repellants become less effective.

Varmints are digging into the mulch we spread around Hibiscus and Hydrangea plants. They are digging into the top and the side and looks like they are eating stems and maybe even bulbs. We thought to cover with screen wire hopefully that will let winter sun in and block the varmints. Any advice you can offer will be appreciated. Thanks.

BJ

By BJ from mid MO

Answers

Best Answer

Forget the hot sauce. Make a mix of: 1/3rd each of black pepper, crushed red pepper like they put on pizza & ground red pepper. Then mix in about 1/8 cup of dry hot mustard. Put into something you can sprinkle it from water well, if the ground needs it & then sprinkle it, then leave it alone for at least a week. It chases off pretty much anything that sniffs. All animals sniff to find what they want & most of them have long memories. I have had it work for cats & dogs for up to 4-5mos. When I water this area, I run a slow hose to soak the ground, rather than spray with a nozzle It's pretty amazing, but when you mix it, do it outside & be up wind of it. Mix slowly, this can get in your nose. It's pretty bad, & you don't need to cover the ground, just sprinkle it around. Make sure you cover the entire area. It's great stuff. I got this from Jerry Baker. He has books on stuff for the garden from your kitchen.