TipsComputers

Saving Favorites When You Get a New Computer

We are getting a new computer and I need to know if anyone knows how to save favorites without having to email each link to myself? I have a lot of them and need some suggestions. Thanks so much and I love this site!

Mindy from Oregon

Hi Mindy,

The easy way to save your favorites is to go up to the title bar in Internet Explorer (web browser) Select FILE from the title bar menu Import and Export, NEXT, Export Favorites, (make sure the folder Favoriates is highlighted), make sure the radio button is selected for Export to a file or address, You can than save the file to a floppy disk or a CD then Import it to your new computer.

Hope this helps,

Wendy

By IMAQT1962 (Guest Post)

THANKS WENDY. I'VE OFTEN WONDERED HOW TO DO THIS ALSO WITHOUT HAVING TO WRITE THEM ALL OUT ON PAPER

By Sam from PTown (Guest Post)

If you have internet explorer.
Click on the "File" Menu.
Go to "Import and Export..."

Select "Export Favorites"
Select the folder that you would like to export, if you want to export everything then click on the favorite folder.
Select the location where you would like to save this file.
You can rename the file or keep it as the default "bookmark.htm".
Once done you can email yourself the bookmark.

Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Sam S

funny i just go up to browser menu click favorites and click add. boy all that other stuff sounds like lots of work

"funny i just go up to browser menu click favorites and click add. boy all that other stuff sounds like lots of work"

They are wondering about how to transfer their favorites to a new computer without having to add them individually. It's different than adding one favorite.

Why don't you just copy and paste each URL onto a word document and print it out. Then when you get your new computer, all you have to do is type them into the search area, when the site comes up, just add them to your favorites again.

if you are switching from xp to xp..then there is a files and settings transfer wizard ( it might be on others, not sure) run that and it will switch everything for you!

Glad I was able to help others. I use to do the old copy and paste to a word doc before I found out how to export it.

I have found in my PC travels if all else fails.. try opening up the Help menu, (contents/index) within the program and doing a search using a keyword that will help find more information out about the subject.

Hope this helps too, ;-)

~Wendola~

By Sara (Guest Post)

I use a website called ikeepbookmarks.com.

By (Guest Post)

Thanks for all the info! DOing the import/export works and has saved me a lot of time. Thanks again!

On AOL you go to Favorites in upper right corner, click it on, go to bottom "manage",click it on, pick one of the four options to move your favorite list. Easy as pie.

Jill

Computers TipsAugust 15, 2006
📓
🐛
🌻