Keeping Kitchen Food Staples Stocked

If you are tired of running out of kitchen staples, buy two and instead of putting it on your grocery list when you run out, put it on your list when the first one is gone. Having one in reserve can save lots of extra trips to the store because you are completely out of coffee, butter, etc. It may take a while to stock the extra ones, but if you add a couple each shopping day, you will never have to run to the store because you don't have an ingredient for a recipe you have already begun.

By Harlean from AR

This is a great idea, and can also be a big money-saver. My Mom used to catch certain things on special and load up on them. When a local store had a really good deal on her brand of coffee, chicken broth, mayonaise, bathroom tissue, etc. she'd usually buy their limit. If they were already out of stock she'd get a rain check and load up when they restocked.

I picked up the habit and it saves money and keeps me from running out of the essential stuff. It's extra nice when you win twice!

There are certain items that I always seem to find in recipes. Its important to keep items stocked so you're not running to the store every time you need to cook something. Buying two or three of the items when they go on sale is always a plus. Also, keep a white-board on your fridge. As soon as you run out of something or notice you are low, put it on there so you can pick it up the next time you head to the store.

Most importantly, know your cooking style. Certain types of cooking require different staples than others.

If you have particular staples that you can't live without, please add them to this list. I'm always looking to be more efficient in my cooking!

My kitchen staples:
Whole Wheat Flour
Self Rising Flour
Rolled Oats
Corn Meal
Sugar - brown & white
Brown Rice
Barley
Lentils
Kidney Beans
Split peas
TVP - textured vegetable protein (longer shelf life than ground beef, and more versatile)
Canola Oil
Soy Sauce
Worcestershire Sauce
Butter - salted and unsalted
half & half - can be used in place of heavy cream & milk
White Wine - Chateau Cardboard works for basic stuff, use what you're drinking for wine-heavy sauces
Red/White/Balsamic vinegar
Benefiber - I'm 25, but I still add it to just about everything I cook. It's tasteless and won't change your cooking, but it really does pay to be 'regular'

Indispensable Spices:
Sea Salt
Black Pepper
White Pepper
Chili Pepper
Cayenne Pepper
Paprika
Oregano
Basil
Bay Leaves
Thyme
Dill
Cumin
Marjoram
Turmeric
Ginger
All spice
Nutmeg
Cinnamon
Sage