Uses for Shredded Paper

contest winner icon

I am a person who shreds all of my paper with my address on them and here are some hints what I do with it.

• I save all zip lock bags after many uses when I want to send a package I fill those bags with shredded paper put a note in the package and ask the recipient to save and use in the same way.

• I line the bottom of my kitchen trash bag with shredded paper to absorb any moisture.

Hope these hints will help. Have a wonderful day.

By Letageraldine from Tucson, AZ

Both great ideas, thanks. I also use shredded paper on my garden compost heap and in the wormery to absorb excess moisture and to keep the worms from freezing in the winter months.

You can shred wrapping paper and use that as filler in a gift bag. It's nice and colorful.

I hope you win,what a great idea. I have scrunched up paper when packing parcels but this is so much tidier for the sender and the sendee. LOL Also I put newspaper in the bottom of my recyclable box to soak up any liquid but its just one section of the newspaper and i find it bulky to put in the trash after. so this is the perfect idea. only. I just emptied my shredder yesterday, now I will have to start over. If only I had received this idea yesterday. LOL Good luck,

I make bricks for our woodstove. I collect shredded paper from any sources I can. I put it in a giant tub and cover it with water. I let it absorb the water for about 3 or 4 days. Then I squeeze the paper together either by hand or using a mold made just for this purpose. Let them dry in the sun (in the summer) or on a tray near the woodstove (winter). I make as many any as can during the summer for winter use!

I use my shredded paper to mix in with my potting soil. It helps hold the moisture in for my tomato plants.

Anonymous

Great idea!!!

Did not think my cats would take to it, but I tried it out in one of my 3 litter boxes. I have 3 cats, and 1 cat uses it all the time, the other 2 do not, but even so it helps me save some money on cat litter. I attached a photo of Mya, the one who uses it.

Good idea! But if you are doing this to thwart identity theft & privacy, aren't you defeating the purpose by relying on your friend to only send these baggies of shredded paper to only trusted people. What I mean if someone is trying to steal your identity can maybe put the shredded pieces back together. You never know anymore. Just my humble opinion.

I cross cut shred mine. They'd have a hard time putting in together. Although I'm sure they're are programs that can do it. :o)

I take my shredded paper to my local humane society, they use it for bedding for the animals. just make sure there aren't any staples.