MeatsRecipes

How Do I Cook Buffalo?

Does any one know where I can find a buffalo cook book? I got some buffalo meat and tried to cook it and it came out really tough. I need to know how to cook it. I have buffalo steaks, hotdogs, and buffalo roast. I am not looking for anything hot and spicy at all. Can some body help me out?

By Wild Woman from Naional City, CA

Actually, you can use any beef recipe for cooking buffalo since the meat is so close to being the same. With the exception of factors such as age of the animal when it was butchered, and the different cuts of meat, you could probably just use any beef recipe and get pleasing results. I've cooked moose and venison using beef recipes and other than using tederizer, have done very little variation.

Keep in mind that buffalo (like moose and venison) has quite a bit less fat than beef, so low temperature and less cooking time while maintaining moisture by searing all sides is the key to cooking any sort of good lean beef and buffalo.

Everyone I know who has eaten buffalo has loved the rich beefy flavor so be prepared to enjoy.

Pookarina

Like PookaRina said. It's just beef. Not domestic beef but beef none the less. Cook it and treat it like you would tough beef.

I have never had buffalo, but we often have deer meat, and I will cook it in the crock pot, whether it is cut into roasts or steaks, and have never had a problem with it not being tender.

"Buffalo Cookbook: The Low Fat Solution to Eating Red Meat by Ruth Mossok Johnston (Hardcover - Jan 1995)

available at Amazon.com
Pookarina