Removing Urine Stains on Tile Floor

I would like to know how to remove pet urine stains and smells on tile floors without taking up the old floors and having them redone.

By Lanissa from Gulfport, MS

Best Answer

Hello, I have found that urine is a tough one to remove because if the animal can still smell just a little bit of it they tend to go back to the same spot again. There are several expensive ways to go such as Zero Odor and then some slightly less expensive products made by Arm and Hammer that I do endorse as working pretty good. I use some of the Arm and Hammer products myself and at times I have used a little bit of Clorox and water or pine-sol and water and I have not had any fading as of yet but I do stress little bit on the Clorox.

I started using the bleach tablets that you drop in a gallon of warm water as a disinfectant and I have to say that I am impressed. They work great and I even got some on my shirt one day and took it off quickly and rinsed it out and it didn't even fade my shirt & believe me I have done that many times in the past trying to use the bleach in the bottle.

One other really great idea for the urine odor that works great if you can do it, is to keep the door closed or if its not a cat you can put up a child's gate to the room for about a month or so and I know that this sounds like a lot o trouble but believe me it really does work. It gives the floor time to rid itself of the scent. When I first read that one, I thought it was nuts, but it actually turned out to be one of the best ideas for urine problem areas. Good luck.

Best Answer

Try soaking a rag in white vinegar, and putting it on the stains to soak for several hours or overnight, rewetting the rag if needed. Then wipe clean. This has worked for me. Apparently acetic acid is stronger than uric acid. Kaboom bathroom cleaner( the one that turns from blue to white when the surface is clean) also seems to work well on cereamic tile around the toilet.