Storing a Rasp Grater

Category Kitchen Tools
This kitchen tool, also known as a microplane, is typically used for grating citrus fruit zest, hard cheeses, and spices such as nutmeg. Its extremely sharp grating edges require proper storage to prevent nicks and cuts. This is a guide about storing a rasp grater.

To store flat, rasp-style graters safely in the kitchen tools drawer, take a square, pocket style potholder and slide the graters into the pocket. Fold the potholder in half and secure with a rubber band.

By Ron from Cortez, CO

Good idea. I do something similar with my cleaver. I have a folded in half dishcloth (the soft velor kind) then I place the cleaver with the whole blade & a portion of the handle on the edge of the cloth and then I roll it. I put a nice thick rubber band at the top half of the blade and another around the neck of the handle over the cloth. It keeps it safe and knick free in the draw and no cuts to the fingers for anyone. Been like this for last 15 years.

I happened to have a thick plastic sleeve from somewhere which works perfectly to store a similar grater that I have. It really avoids scraped knuckles when reaching for something nearby in the drawer.