Making a Door Squeak?

I have a really big problem. I want to know how to CAUSE a door to squeak! I know it sounds crazy but trust me, it's for a really good cause at my home. Is there anyone out there that may have a suggestion? Please don't be mean to me; I have a really good reason for wanting a door that used to squeak to squeak once again.

Terra

By Camille (Guest Post)

Ha! My mind is going wild with the possible reasons for wanting a door to squeak :) Try using a strong degreaser on the hinge pins (409, Simple Green, oven cleaner), but be sure to protect any paint around the area. Then when you need a quiet door again, you can just zap the hinges with WD-40.

WD40 is a horrid lubricant. WD40 is a solvent and rust solvent. The solvent evaporates leaving a gummy residue. Use lighe machine oil. Lithium grease, or dry graphite to remove squeeks. Super clean the hinge and pin to encourage squeeks.

If hinge is removed after cleaning hammer taps on the hinge or a squeeze in a vice may tighten the hinge forcing metal on metal friction and noise.

Thanks

Add a piece of Styrofoam between the hinge and the doorframe so that the hinge opens and rubs on the phone creating the noise

By sandy (Guest Post)

i would hope noone would be mean to you. the suggestion from camille sounds good.
if you cant get it to squeak again you can put jingle bells on the door knobs, both inside and out.

i can imagine what or whom you are trying to keep out. if this is for safety issues tho go to an adult you trust. ok. really.

Anonymous

There maybe a partner, spouse, renter stealing from you or doing damage. very common in domestic abuse

By siris. (Guest Post)

Squirt baby powder on the hinge pins.

Thank you! I too need to create a creak.
I didn't know someone liked the noisy door when visiting & inadvertently "fixed" it for them.
Some like creaky doors. X

My sister did this and I was livid! When you live alone, there are certain things you do for "protection" if that door is opened, no matter where I was in the house I was alerted and it was comforting. Another reason you might want a squeak is to secretly monitor children (eg: pantry door where snacks are kept!)

yes, it sounds like there might be something you are afraid to discuss....other than the "quiet" door. THAT is probably more important to get resolved than the actual door...but for tonight, maybe something "gritty" in the hinges would work?...the degreaser also sounds like a good idea. a LOCK! a chair under the door handle?

a wood shim...I don't know the issue so I don't know what else to suggest. If someone is hurting you, you need to get help though. If someone has caused the door to NOT squeak so they can harm you, altering their "handiwork" might cause more trouble for you if you don't get help.

When trying to keep track of an elderly person from walking out the door, we put a rubberised mat in front of the door, (with the rubber studs poking up) It slowed down the door by rubbing along the bottom of the door when the door was being opened, and also made a scraping sound. someone was able to get to them before they took a walk.

Goodness why all the fuss about this. I like my door to squeak so i can hear someone coming in or out my door. We live in the country and have a two year old grandson with me and my daughter. I feel safer knowing that i hear that squeak when it opens.

Hey hang a bell or shoe horn on the door too is a good idea when you have small children or elderly. Good luck and get that squeak going...

By suzi homemaker (Guest Post)

You can tie something around the doorknob like an old set of keys, a set of old silverware, or baby toys that rattle. I, too am concerned with you wanting a door that squeaks. I don't know your age, but please go to someone for help if you feel someone is hurting you or abusing you in ANY way. If you feel like family and friends will not help you, then go to a another adult-a teacher, counselor or any employee at a school, a policeman, a neighbor you can trust. Please do this. Don't wait another moment.

By TonyaG (Guest Post)

It doesn't really matter to me why you want your door to squeak although I must admit that it spikes my curiosity. LOL I would either go with degreasers like Camille suggested or possibly if you put Gold Bond Powder on it then the oil that is in there would get absorbed.

Are you trying to get the hinge part of the door to squeak or the wood part of the door itself? Just checking. Hope this might help.

By kassandra (Guest Post)

some oven cleaner would do the work. . . or try ammonia and blow dry the hinges try that several times, let me know if it works?

By (Guest Post)

I wonder if anyone in here is thinking about wanting to know if your child is sneaking out or their significant other is sneakin in at night instead of some intruder wanting to sneak in? Boric acid or oven cleaner should do the trick, but use the harshest one you can find. whatever you use, it needs to be corosive and/or abrasive. keep in mind that you should only use just a little bit of the boric acid to prevent extreme wear on the hinges, otherwise you run the risk of having to spend more money on replacement hinges, and you should completely remove the hinges and remove the pin to do this.

I'm not questioning this subject at all! I can indirectly, instantly relate to wanting an "ordinary, non-descript noise" such as a squeaky door to make a heads-up noise. At work we had a mean-spirited group who put a target on the back of a kind-hearted person. The mean-spirited group oiled the squeaky doors so the mean-spirited group always had the upper-hand.

I like creaky doors because I live in a 170 year old house next to a cemetery. I like to add to the ambiance when I have guests over. Here's how. Using a large nail, and a hammer, remove the pins from your door. Wash them either with grease cutting soap or in the dishwasher.The idea is to remove all lubricant. Poke them into the ground to make them a little dirty and then replace them. It also sometimes helps to loosed the actual hinge screws. If you are able to, replace any modern hinges with antique hinges. This takes some handy man skill.

I also would like to know how to make a door squeak being that I would like to know when my step-son goes in and out of my home he thinks he's sneaky but he isn't and that's why I want to know

Anonymous

I need mine to because i have theifs in my house i need to hear them walking in my room..i sleep hard..

Use liquid hand sanitizer on the hinges. That will dry them out.

Thanks for the help, am going to make our office door squeak again and will let you guys know what works for me. Our dumb painter said he would fix the squeak and I said DON'T - its our CHEAP DOORBELL ... but he painted over the hinges and now it does not squeak, but thanks to all your helpful hints, I hope to get it squeaking again, because I sit behind a panel in a cubicle and cannot see people entering. Wish me luck!

Home and Garden Home Improvement DoorsJuly 10, 2005
😎
🎆
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf739318.tip.html