Using Bleach With Homemade Laundry Soap?

I use this homemade liquid laundry soap recipe #1. This recipe is very well known.

1/3 bar Fels Naptha soap, grated
1/2 cup Borax
1/2 cup Washing Soda (not baking soda)

5 gallon bucket

My question; has anyone ever used Clorox bleach in the wash along with the above recipe? Sometimes my clothes don't seem clean or white. I was wondering if it's safe to add bleach if I need to?

G from AZ

By debbie (Guest Post)

i had the same problem. my clothes came out clean and fresh but whites got dingey. i tried bleach, but by the time they get to that stage it's too late. i found out it was from mineral stains in my hard water. i think well water would do the same thing if it's not filterd as it fills the machine. so the only solution was to use regular store bought detergent for the white loads. i still use the homemade detergent for everything else. we didn't want the expense of putting in a water softener. i don't know if there's an addative you can put in the washer with the homemade detergent to soften the water.

By susan (Guest Post)

I always soak my whites in warm water, homemade laundry soap recipe #1, and a scoop of oxyclean. I'll usually put them in to soak before I go to bed at night, then finish the wash cycle when I get up in the morning.

They've stayed nice and bright, and I've never had a problem with them turning grey.

I don't know, but if you have a county extention service give them a call. I try to avoid chlorine bleach because it causes cotton fabrics to rot. I don't think chlorine would react with the other ingredients but I could be wrong. Best to get an expert opinion when mixing chemicals.

By Michele (Guest Post)

I've used regular Clorox with the homemade detergents with no issues!

I've never tried your homemade laundry detergent, but I look forward to trying it. To soften my water and make my whites whiter, I use TSP. It use to contain Phosphate years ago, but they took it out because it was harming the enviornment.

The the mixture still works very well to soften and brighten wash water and it doesn't conflict with bleach either. It can also be used with colors with no problems.

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryOctober 29, 2005
🍀
💘
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf74001135.tip.html