Making a Juice Pouch Purse

Category Purses
A fun way to recycle is to make a cute purse with containers that usually end up in the garbage. This guide is about making a juice pouch purse.

Approximate Time 2 hours

• 14 orange jammer packs
  • clear thread
  • needle
  • scissors
  • black ribbon

Instructions:

1. Take 3 jammers and sew together side by side 4 times.
  2. Then take 2 jammers and sew on top of each other 2 times for the sides.
  3. Sew three more on top of each other for the bottom.
  4. Sew the sides and the bottom onto the front and the back of the purse.
  5. Take 1 jammer and cut into 3 strips, fold each strip over and sew together.
  6. Ad

7. When you get that done, sew 3 strips together and sew on purse to make handles as in picture.
  8. Sew on the ribbon.

By Sandy from Bluff City, TN

• Capri Sun pouches
  • sewing machine
  • feather boa
  • Directions:

This is the cutest purse.

1. To prepare the juice pouches I removed the glue and cleaned the packs. I slice the bottoms, fill the sink with warm soapy water. Rinse and set in bucket to dry over night. I set them outdoors.
    2. Ad

3. Then I take the desired colors and line up the edges about one half inch. Zig zag stitch the middle and continue to the other side. Make 2 of these.
    4. The bottom is made from 3 packs and zig zag stitched as well. Leave about a inch of each corner open. This will help to get the corners correct at the end.
    5. Sides get added to the front and back. I now straight stitch this part.
    6. The handles are made of 2 packs cut in half. Then the edges are sewn to make 4 panels of handle.
    7. Zig zag stitch the handles to the bag, add your favorite boa and you're done.
    8. By Sharon from North Miami Beach, FL

Does anyone have a pattern for the Koolaid purses that have become popular with the youngsters?

Betty

Answers

This PDF has instructions...
    http://www.fbci … POUCH_PURSES.pdf

contact bettyboop to get name of person who makes them

Go to webguru.com , put in search for koolaid jammer purse. Good luck!

I got the instructions from Wackysack.com Very helpful with good explainations and lots of pictures.

Go to http://www.fbci … /mops_crafts.htm

http://www.webguru.com
    it is free and easy to understand.

WHERE CAN I BUY THE BAGS WHOLESALE? I NEED A BUNCH. THANK YOU,
    MC
    BABYPRINCESSMADI@YAHOO.COM

If you email me I can send you a link for a free kool-aid coin purse pattern.

Looking for the best patterns on the web? Check out
    http://cgi.ebay … Z1QQcmdZViewItem
    why pay$7.99 for one simple purse pattern when you can get all these?

My kool-aid purse patterns are available for $4.99 on my website:

www.jammerspurses.com

I also offer a free pattern for the matching coin purse and several other unique patterns. Thank you to all of my customers that have praised my attention to detail with my instructions. I will be listing a pattern for a cat food pouch purse this week. Please check my website often for more patterns!

great(sweet)(/nice)

would love to get pattern for koolaid jammer purses and acc. having surgery be layed up for a while figure i could sew to make extra money please email me info sammijoemmo@hotmail.com

How do you make juice pouch purses?

Answers

http://www.bern … -_January_04.pdf

Check out: www.wackysack.com

Here I have a link! It makes awesome bags! http://candywra … apper-purse.html

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I got this idea from Thrifty Fun. My 11 year-old and I loved making it. Many kids in her school are interested in having one too. Great recycling too!

By Ellen from Ontario

Editor's Note: Here are a couple of articles on ThriftyFun for a similar type of purse. There are also several posts that have feedback about how to make these popular purses and other juice pouch crafts.

KoolAid Jammer Purse

Comment Like this photo? Yes

Does anyone know how to make the purses and bags that are popular now out of juice pouches, record album covers, basically any cute paper or cardboard label? They appear to be laminated and then sewn together? It feels more like a flexible vinyl though. Any thoughts? My daughters like the ones from Kool-aid packets and I thought it might be a neat project.

Thanks for any help!
    Elizabeth

Answers:

Making Purse Out Of Record Album Covers

Here's what I know about these type purses.

Most people that do the record album purses sandwich the album between two pieces of clear vinyl. I learned the basic on another crafting forum, but can't seem to remember when or where. You basically take the medium weight clear vinyl (Approx. $2 per yard at Wal-Mart) and sandwich the record album between two sheets. Some people cut the album cover in half and have the front on the front of the bag, and back on the back. Depending on how wide you want your bag, you cut strips with a half inch seam allowance added for the sides and bottom. If you're familiar with purse sewing, it should be pretty easy to eyeball.

Onto the Kool-Aid pouch purses. I'm selling about $200 worth a week and barely keeping up with orders. Prepping the bags is the most time consuming part, as it only really takes about 20-30 minutes to sew the purse once the bags are prepped.

I cut the bottoms out of each pouch and drain the drink into a pitcher (yes the kids are now SICK of koolaid). Soak the empty pouches in warm soapy water to get the sticky juice out, then drain upright. I leave them overnight so they can get good and dry.

With a pair of scissors that you don't care about dulling pretty quickly, cut the backs off of the pouches. They should be a smooth, flat, single layer of aluminum/plastic when done.

The hardest part for me, and maybe someone knows a better way to do this, is removing the sticky from where they stuck the straw on the pouch. I use jojoba oil. I lay out about 10 bags at a time and put a drop of oil on each sticky spot, then leave it for about 15-20 minutes. Then I rub off the sticky with my thumbnail.

I bought a Kool-Aid purse for $20 to figure out the pattern and was HIGHLY disappointed about a week later to have little black spots all around my purse where the lady didn't remove the sticky. It is very important to remove the sticky.

Once the sticky is off it's time to get to the easy part of Kool-Aid purses. I use Wonder Tape to assemble my purses for sewing. It keeps the pieces together so they don't slide once on the machine. I use a jean needle and set my machine for a close set, wide zig zag stitch.

Lay out the bags according to how you want your purse to look. The wonder tape is 1/4 inch wide, and the seams on the koolaid bags are 1/4 so it makes a perfect guide for lining up the bags for sewing. The most common size purse is 1 bag high X 2 bags wide X 1 bag deep. Stick two pouches together side by side threes time and sew a zig zag stitch down the seam. If you are lining the purse, take the 3 2-pouch sets you've sewn and the 2 single pouches you have left to use as patterns for cutting the lining material.

Take the two "side" pouches and line them up on each end of one of the pouch sets you've just sewn together. You will lay the bottoms of the single pouches wrong sides together running top to middle on each side of the bottom pouch set. Sew both sides to the bottom of the bag leaving 1/4 inch edge unsewn at the top and bottom, then trim off the excess bottom.

You're really almost done. Folding back the side pouches where you left the 1/4 inch open, line the front (from the other 2 2-pouch sets you sewed together) panel up with the bottom of the bag, wrong sides together, and zig zag together leaving 1/4 at beginning and end of stitch. Repeat for the back panel.

Line up and sew all four of the side seams wrong sides together top to bottom. Some people use the folded up bags to make the handles, but I prefer poly-pro nylon webbing. It's sturdier and more comfortable.

Also, the coin purse that accompanies the Kool-Aid purses are simple. Just fold one pouch over about 3/4 from the top and run a 1/4 inch seam across the top. Line that pouch on top of another pouch wrong sides together. Zig zag around entire full pouch. Fold top flap down. IF you're using velcro to close the coin pouch, sew the velcro before you sew the two pieces together. I use magnetic clasps, so I can skip a step.

Now, if you haven't gone blind from all this writing, GOOD LUCK with your Kool-Aid pouch purse. If you'd like, I'm making a few tonight and can take pictures of the steps for you. Hope you can understand the directions. They really are quite simple once you've done one or two. (03/08/2005)

By MsMischf

Making Purse Out Of Record Album Covers

Your directions sound great! I'm very much a visual person, though - if you would take a few pictures and post I'd love to see it made-in-action! My daughter loves these and I'm looking forward to making us each one.
    (03/10/2005)

By Sarah

Making Purse Out Of Record Album Covers

Juice Purse Instructions:

First slit the bottom of your juice pouches and rinse out with warm soapy water.

You can let dry overnight or use a paper towel and dry them by hand. Now, take 2 pouches and sew them together using a zigzag stitch side by side overlapping the edges.

Do that again with 2 more pouches. These 2 panels are your front and back. Now, take 1 by itself and place it backside to backside of one of the 2 panels and stitch up the side starting from the top going down leaving about a 1/2 inch un-sewn at the bottom.

Open it up and this should now look like a corner, not overlapped like the 2 that is a panel for the front and back of the purse. Now connect the rest of them together adding another single side panel.

You now have 6 pouches sewn together, 2 in front, 2 in back and 1 on each side. Now, you will have to measure carefully and get 2 more pouches and figure out how wide your bottom is now that you have the top sewn.

Make sure to leave enough to sew and don't just set the purse on the pouch and cut that way, the bottom will be sewn like the corners so you will need a tad extra.

Once you have cut the 2 pouches almost in half but to equal the bottom width sew them together in the middle overlapping them but make sure you over lap enough but have enough to go to the ends for sewing to the purse sides, front and back.

Now, this is the tricky part. Start with a long side and place bad side to bad side and make flat and sew all around the purse.

It will sort of pucker out b/c you are sewing on it making it flat. But, remember when I said not to go all the way down the sides when sewing, this allows for you to be able to fold up the bottom of the pouches to sew onto the bottom panel.

Now for handles I went to a local retail store or you can go to a fabric shop and buy nylon belt type material in the fabric dept. if they are out, you can go to the automotive dept and buy a strapping belt made of the same stuff and I think it is actually cheaper too.

Now, I duct taped it down on the inside of the purse once I figured out the length and then stitched it down at the top. Your fabric lining will cover the duct tape. Of course you do not have to have a lining and can stitch down the nylon handle to the purse and the purse is finished.
    Your purse is complete.

Tip: If you can't wait to make the purse because your juice pouches aren't empty you can slit the bottom of the pouches and pour them in a pitcher for later. (07/06/2006)

By SOMEONE!@