TicksPest Control

Does Pine Straw Attract Ticks?

Category Ticks

Someone told me that pine straw attracts ticks. Does anyone know if that is true? I have tons of pine straw in the yard that I thought about putting around bushes and flowers. If it's going to attract ticks maybe I need to find something else. I was going to use it to save money but it sounds like I'd be spending that money on an exterminator instead.

Lisa from Raleigh, NC

I put pine straw around my azaleas one year and when I went to work around them in the spring, I dug up a bed of baby snakes. I don't know about the ticks, but believe me, I never put pine straw around anything again. Also, yellow jackets will burrow underground under pine straw.

By Casey (Guest Post)

We used to live in an area with many pine trees, pine straw. Our 2 corgis would run outside in the yard and everyday, every time we came in I had to check them for ticks, and always had to pick some off. It was awful. I will not have pine trees in my yard now at all.

I use it around my flower beds with no problems, but we don't really have a tick problem in our yard. Out in the country, they may like to nest in it. I've never had a snake problem with it either. It looks neat, decomposes slowly, and acid loving plants sure like the stuff!

I think so. My neighborhood has a lot of pine trees and when my dog walks under a pine tree he usually ends up with a tick on him no matter what season it is.

Gary Dominicus

We had a huge tick prob after a twister took half of a pine tree out in moms front yard. Even tho the tree top/limbs were cut up and burned there was still pine straw everywhere. Didn't have a prob until then. Has to be the reason