Lighting and ElectricHome Improvement

Help With Wiring A New Light

I've just fitted a new pendant light fitting using the existing electrical source. However, when I turn the main power on, the lights are on even though the light switch is off. When I put the light switch on, it blows the fuse!

The light is wired correctly as per the diagrams and original fitted light but I've no idea what to do next without a large call out charge.

Any ideas?

Paula

By DearWebby (Guest Post)

Paula, somewhere you have some wires crossed or connected incorrectly. Without understanding electricity and wiring, chances are that any additional work you do on it, will make matters worse. It is possible that the wires are crossed before they get to the switch, and that previously some creative wiring took care of that.

Before it gets too expensive, call an electrician. Most likely he will just look at it, chcukle, reverse two connections, and everything will be fine.

The trick to avoid large call-out charges is to call an electrician BEFORE things get too complicated.