Make Cloth Bags Out of Old Pillowcases

What do you do with pillow cases that are no longer needed for a bed? Turn them into cloth bags! First turn the bag inside out, fold down the sides of the opening, run a cord or other material cut to the length of the handle you want, hand stitch/sew. Turn the pillow case rightside out and there you have it, a bag! The best thing about this one, no cutting!

Source: I just started trying different ways to reuse material and items at home to save money and make money. It's even simple enough for the kids to do!

By Michele from Landisville, PA

Hi there from chilly Canada!
I also use old, stained or worn out pillow cases as bags. I cut them down and make toy bags out of them. My grand daughters have their Barbies in a bag, my grandson has his GI Joe and accessories in another bag. I have Mr. Potato Head in another bag for another grandson. These bags are awesome for traveling, as my grandchildren can grab a bag and head out to their vehicles on long drives. No more, " Are we there yet "!

I have done this too, and find if you put one of those pillow case bags in your suitcase when traveling you can put all of your dirty clothes in it and pack it anyway it will fit in the suitcase when traveling home.. keeping your clean clothes clean!

What a great Idea! I also used an old pillowcase as a legobricks-storage bag and I reused red/white blocked ones for making curtains in my kitchen as you see on this picture (two of our sons are washing the dishes here).

Could you explain further about the cord you put through. I am lost when you say to fold down the sides of the opening. Where do you put the cord and do you sew the sides shut after folding down? Thanks

I started crocheting my own purses and I find old pillowcases great for the liners especially the flannellette ones.

I sometimes cut them in half and make two bags out of each pillowcase. Great for packing shoes and loose items.

You do have a great idea that some of us has caught on to. I use mine to wrap my silver trays,etc. in. There are so many uses for these bags..and you can also pick them up for pennies at yard sales, and do your own thing, and as Manon from Netherlands showed what they look like as curtains. They're so nice if you get the ones with lace or frilly edges, too.

I personally use hot glue for most of my sewing now. I made curtains and coverered chair pads with sheets. And the hot glue really holds up good.